Friday, July 1, 2011

First Orchestra Rehearsal

Last night I had my first orchestra rehearsal. There was a lot of learning to be done - it was the first time seeing microphones and mixers set up, the first time performing with the mridangam and violin, and the first time going through everything with a braid, spetum clip, and other uncomfortable costume pieces.

For those who are outside the Bharatanatyam world, let me explain why these things suck. The braid is like two pounds of swinging junk attached to your head. I got a cramp in my back at one point for the extra weight pulling my head back.

The septum clip is a new one for me. It's not something you typically wear in a run-of-the-mill group performance. In part, that's because everyone hates them. A lot of people find them uncomfortable because they pinch the inside of your nose and make you want to sneeze. I didn't have that problem. The other problem (which I definitely had) is that it's a wick for sweat and nose-products that drips down right into your mouth. Ewwwww!

Why do people choose to wear these?

I also managed to bruise my shin with my bells. Normally, the problem with bells is that they give you blisters. To avoid this, I tied them really tight, and came across this alternate failure mode. I hope the swelling goes down before Tuesday when I do my stage rehearsal.

I couldn't drink enough water to replace what I was losing. My saree was completely soaked by the time I finished. I drank as much as I could once I finished, but I still woke up feeling like I had a hangover in the morning. And I have to do this (and worse) three more times. OMG!!!

What's next? For the long weekend, I'm sequestering myself in the south bay to focus on dance and avoid undue driving back and forth. Last night, I stayed with Kjirsten and family in Fremont. As much as I love the city, it was very peaceful falling asleep to the sound of crickets.

Now, I'm staying in my "Gsuite Mountain View Getaway" apartment. For those non-Googlers, Google offers up their corporate apartments for free on weekends to employees if they're available. Since who would stay in Mountain View by choice on a long weekend, there was space available! So here I am.

No SF, but could be worse

Today I didn't practice because I was completely exhausted. Tomorrow, however, no excuses. And, hey, what else am I going to do in Mountain View on a Saturday?

T minus 8 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment