Friday, June 24, 2011

Where for art thou Rama? Also, my friends are too small.

One of the intents of this blog was to post detailed descriptions of each of my pieces. So far, I've managed to cover 2/7. Emily FAIL. In the spirt of catching up, here's a description of my javali.

First off, a javali is a love lyric, generally told by a longing nayaki (maiden) searching for her nayaka (lord). This might sound familiar because, as I explained earlier, varnams usually express the same theme. However, since my varnam rejects this old chestnut, it was time to get my lusty maiden on.

In my javali, the nayaki is lusting after Rama, the 7th avatar of Vishnu notoriously lame husband by most accounts (see Ramayana).

Remember what they say about Gods with large bows

In spite of him forcing his wife through fire and still kicking her out of their home, this nayaki considers him quite a catch. She waits and waits for Rama to show, but no dice. Instead, she finds her friend and asks her to go find her Rama and tell him of her suffering, because everyone knows nothing attracts a guy more than abject desperation.

Why is she so into him? She thinks he's quite well-spoken - this will come up over and over in the piece. He's also a good singer and some other stuff. Oh yeah, and he's awesome in bed. I kid you not people, this is literally a line in the piece. Cover your children's eyes because otherwise there are going to be some questions.

After performing this for my student teacher for the first time, her major criticism was: your friend is too small. Apparently, I was persistently talking to a person who was clearly a foot shorter than me. Thus, from now on, I order all my short friends (you know who you are, Radha and Lakshmi...) to stand on stools of at least 6 inches in height when speaking to me. That is all.*

T minus 15 days.

* I blame my approach to this problem on Judge John Hodgman.

No comments:

Post a Comment