Monday, March 28, 2011

Food food everywhere and not a meal to eat

A persistent problem I've had since starting dance three years ago is maintaining a sane diet in the lead up to a show. My first year, I got very pale, weak, and tired about two weeks before showtime. I was convinced I was either diabetic or dying of cancer. After a trip to the doctor and many tests, my mom asked if I was eating enough. After a week of adding 50% more food to my plate, I felt fine again. Smart person this mom character.

The next couple of shows I had the inverse problem. I was so preoccupied with getting enough food that I didn't really care what I ate, eating take out every night because I was too busy to cook. Consequently, I got a little chunkified and I'm only getting rid of the weight now. It killed my stamina once I stopped practicing so much.

This round, I think I've been doing a pretty good job of feeding myself. Before the real craziness started I had a solid two (two!) meals under my belt, both basically involving decorating frozen foods and adding a side of roasted vegetables, but hey, they taste great and are considerably healthier than take out food. So there, Hannah.

This weekend everything went to hell. I tried really hard, I swear. If it weren't for my super boyfriend, I probably would have skipped dinner on both Saturday and Sunday out of laziness and exhaustion. I had late dance practice on Friday, then afternoon practice on Saturday plus a concert to go to shortly after, followed by pilates Sunday morning immediately before driving down to the south bay for more dance class. From lunch on Saturday to dinner on Sunday, all I ate were almond butter and raspberry jam sandwiches, which keep me sustained but are the disappointing taking-your-cousin-to-the-prom version of a meal.
Sandwiches: Bun or Burger girl?

One pleasant interruption to the sandwichfest was the meal foisted upon me by the mother of one of classmates before dance on Sunday. I think she had the standard "Poor orphan child!" urge to feed the single working professional woman and I was happy to indulge that urge. I had delicious sambar, rice, plantain, and the awesomest rasam I've had outside of the Narayan household. To top it off, she gave me South Indian sweets to take home. Unfortunately, I could only eat a little since it was almost time to dance. I'm also kicking myself for not taking a picture. Still getting the hang of this blog thing.

Finally, after coming home an exhausted wreck after dance class Sunday, boyfriend cooked me possibly the most delicious stir fry I've ever had. Considering it was his first attempt, I was extremely impressed (although, again, failed to photograph). I think my new food strategy will be loafing off of boyfriend and Indian moms.

Unrelated: Shout out to Lakshmi for loaning me a dupatta on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment