Saturday, April 2, 2011

An Ode to My (Boyfriend's) Ride

It's the last night before my dance show, and I want to express my appreciation for my ride. Technically, it is not my ride - I don't own a car. I normally use zipcar, but in the lead up to a show, the late night rehearsals and consecutive weekend day drives make it a little pricey. So on occasions like this, I turn to my boyfriend and his lovely car.

Before you start speculating as to how much of a gold digger I am, consider the car:

Sweet Ride Circa 1992

Yes, it is a lovely, white (or at least it was at one point) Volvo station wagon from 1992. But don't judge a book by it's cover - consider this interior:

Note: The laptop is in no way connected to the car

Those wires hanging out are the result of the stereo theft the car suffered last month. Below the wires, a very high tech set of exposed fuses to permit the driver maximum control of the cars extensive features. For instance, maybe you don't want your seats to actually heat up when you hit the heat-up-seats light. It's what makes Volvos so safe. This picture shows the latest upgrade to the current sound system. Last weekend's attempt involved playing an episode of This American Life on my phone. I had to hold the phone near my ear because of all the charming ambient noise that the car lovingly produces.

For the record, I think the car is an endearing feature of my boyfriend. The car, even with the window repair, is extremely cheap to maintain. It's solidly built, so driving home late on the 280 is a less frightening prospect. And it's a dream to park. Actually, not really. But I really appreciate that my (possibly former?) boyfriend provides the material support for me to follow my dreams, in addition of course to all the moral support.

Just to show that my boyfriend isn't the only one clinging to the past, I should disclose that until very recently, this was my phone:


Nokia 6600: The Most Glorious Phone Ever Made

Also for the record, I only stopped using the phone because the microphone no longer works. It's true that it's possibly the oldest phone in the universe. Oh wait...


This phone in my boyfriend's car has it beat by a few decades.


1 comment:

  1. Ok, I won't defend the state of the car, it's a mess. (I will defend the awesomeness of the old cell phone in the car, that thing is sweet.)

    However, I have to point out that the car was broken into while it was in the custody of a certain bharatanatyam dancer I know, where she parked it in the city so that she could drive it to dance class. (Although it was parked in a totally safe neighborhood, where I've parked it many times, so it was just bad luck.)

    It's true that I haven't replaced the stereo since the break-in, but neither has said bharatanatyam dancer.

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete